Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Daily Chores

The past couple days have been heavy ones for me. The death of that little chicken has had a profound effect on me. Thoughts revolving the circle of life and death go through my head all the time. And whether or not I did the right thing for the chicken, I guess I will never know. Many have told me the best thing that I could do is allow the chicken to be warm and comfortable to ease the passing and I definitely tried to make that happen. What will be I guess.

The passing of our little hen has opened my eyes to appreciating the ones I have left a lot more. They are fun animals to watch and they really enjoy it when the get a chance to roam outside. Too bad they eat everything in sight.

I have been planting the garden, cleared out 3 beds of cover crops, double dug them (more on that in a later post) and planted lettuce, cauliflower, carrots and radishes. I built some cages to keep out all of the little critters from eating them, so far so good. I planted some lettuce outside of the cage and they got eaten already. I have to figure out something for the peas because those are getting ravaged by a squirrel and the cages I have made will not work for them.

More work to be done I guess.

No comments: